Friday, August 22, 2008

People with Perceptions


On a late Friday afternoon this summer, I came to another conclusion (not new) that so many aspects in our lives are shaped by the people around us. To be specific, it doesn't mean that my thinking is influenced by other people's thinking, but that other people's opinions and thoughts provoke me to investigate the untapped section of my thinking.

For example, I read a blog from one of my American friends, who is a World Teach volunteer and serving in America Samoa in the South Pacific. She described in one of her blog entries that "the situation over there, like everything else on the island, is subject to change without notice..." Well, it is similar to Thailand. I am not at all surprised by the island perspective. I love that. However, I am surprised at myself that I have a reaction to that sentence now.

I'm not against that at all, but I do feel like I am an Islander in the big metro city.

As I observe my American life, I think "what would happen if things changed without notice." How would people react to that? Why cannot there be a different way of thinking, so that things will not necessary fall into traditional expectations? How much more time do we need to be informed and ready for change? How deep or silly will the discussion on the street be?

People, their thoughts, and their perceptions are stimulating to me. I grew up in a "change without notice!" zone (Thailand) but am now trying to live in a very systematic, rule-oriented world (USA). It is fun to juggle my own perceptions and find the right rhythm.

People and their perceptions excite me constantly.

TAN

No comments: