Sunday, August 31, 2008

Living (here) Temporarily

I have been in America since June 2005. First, I lived in a two-bedroom apartment in Burlington, Vermont. Then, I moved to a one-bedroom in Glover Park, D.C. Next month, I will move to a studio in the Woodley Park area, which is only a 10-minute walk from work. All of the downsizing concepts occured organically, without a clear plan, but I hope this will turn out to be a good move for my husband and me.

When I was looking for an apartment, I was seeking a green space, a nice balcony, a short walk to work, a connection to the bike path, a good neighbourhood (safety), and lastly, a place near the metro. I found all of it. Nothing is perfect, though. It is both smaller and more expensive than any place that I have lived.
I appreciate the fact that life always has plus and minus sides. We are here temporarily. I have no complaints.
Moving is a beautiful prompt that helps me eliminate stuff that I don't actually need. It is a very interesting process to look at your own stuff that you have accumulated over the years. This stuff has claimed a certain significance at a particular time. Three years later, much of this stuff has almost lost its meaning, and is honestly not useful to me anymore. Things break or go out of date. I have accumulated newer stuff and found a noveau purpose for different things.

I want to define a way to live life healthily and with more balance, and I realize that, in fact, I need only a few things.

The whole weekend was devoted to decluttering our living space, making a trip to the Salvation Army, and cleaning the floor and suitcases. At the same time, I am learning to clean my mind deeply. I have more space to breathe clearly, feel a bit emptier and also happier.

There are tons of books, both used and new magazines, articles, posters, brochures, and newletters that I occasionally have grabbed from various places. They make great souvenirs from my trips. After some time, I am learning to diversify and glean certain things (what I have mentioned above) and put them into my writing immediately, using them, thinking about them, discussing them with people and trying not to stack them up in a tiny living space any more.
Fortunately, I will not be able to do that as the new place has a limited square number of feet and I have to use extreme caution on what I really want to keep. (Imagine that there are two people in s studio that is best designed for one person and they are both pack rats).
This will be very exciting and challenging for me (us).
My new studio apartment will again be temporary. It doesn't matter how long or how short I will be there. It is a sacred space where I will continue to live with less material, more thoughts, and live with a stronger purpose and with a more vibrant, empty, and quiet life (with a very short walk to work, which makes my heart sing joyfully).

Go green habitat,

TAN

No comments: