Monday, January 21, 2008

Street Noodles


I was in awe when the big bowl of my favorite noodle soup (guaytiew krae) was served to me in Arlington, Virginia.

This joy cannot be replaced or compared.
After months and months in America, it has been hard to imagine that I will have a chance to enjoy Thai food the way it is supposed to be cooked, as opposed to Thai-American food in which the authentic taste is oftentimes compromised by Western sensitivity to Thai spice levels and a lack of fresh ingredients.

It is pure joy when you know the authentic taste of something, and my enjoyment of this bowl brought about a series of memories. The noodle which I enjoyed on the streets of Bangkok was replicated here at Bangkok 54, a huge Thai grocery store in Virginia. The world is connected for me now.

The "street" noodles with their authentic taste is a simple joy that I can find in America.

TAN

No comments: