Friday, January 18, 2008

$1.25 on a Saturday Morning


$1.25 was the bus fare in DC last year. (It is now $1.35 if you use cash). I usually take a bus, D2, from my apartment to work. It takes between 20-30 minutes depending on the time of day.

It was early Saturday morning, Jan 5, 2008, when I had the first new volunteer training of the year. I was so exhausted from the long weeks of preparation, so excited and nervous about training 40 new volunteers, so sleepy to get ready for this saturday that my mind wandered. I lacked focus and attentiveness. Still, I was trying to make sure that I would be ready to complete my duty, beautifully.

I left home early, left a half coffee in a big mug, ran to the bus stop with all my training plans in the cotton bag. It was around 6.30 a.m.
The D2 bus came right as I ran up to the bus stop, and I placed my farecard on the card reader as I usually do. It didn't read and made a weird noise that meant, "your balance is zero." I knew that I might be in trouble. I tried to find $1.25 in my wallet. I had no cash. I had no time to get cash from the ATM.

I told the driver, "sorry, I have no cash ..." (awkward silence between the driver and I)
"You don't have $1.25?" the driver asked bluntly.
"No, no money, what should I do?" I thought that he would just let me sit and tell me to forget about it. He asked again, "no money?"

A middle aged man, sitting in the middle seat, called to me and said, "Ma'am, here is $1.25, take it." I was so excited and politely grabbed that money and put it in the reader.

What a random kindness that was. We started to chat and I kept thanking him for his kindness. We exchanged small talk. "Where are you from?" This popular question came up. "Thailand. I am Thai. My husband is a student at American University. That is why I am in DC now." I answered with a big smile.

He told me that his wife is Mongolian. I was so excited and asked him what she did. "Well, it is 6:45 a.m. She probably was sleeping when I left home.'" Laughter filled the air. The bus driver kept driving sternly ahead.

It doesn't matter if you have had a long, stressful time. You must remember to keep a good balance and that life will grow because you know when and how to "let it go."

TAN

No comments: