Monday, October 20, 2008

How are you, TOMORROW?


There are still hundreds of reasons why I love being in an Adult ESL classroom. The top reasons are that the classroom experience is so unique, refreshing, and heart-warming every day.

One of my Spanish-speaking students from the Honduras, in my Basic English class, asked me "how are you, tomorrow?" The question was followed by his big smile and a big laugh from the class. My face turned red and laughed with the class because the question was so simple yet sophisticated.

At that moment, I was not at all thinking of the answer. I was not trying to correct his English. I called out his name, 'Roberto" and said with my cheerful voice, "you are so creative!!!!" He laughed but my laughter was deeper. I didn't know how I ended the lesson that day.

This led to one of my musings about life in America, "how many people (here) will read between the lines, will open up to the unfamiliar, will extend their flexibility to the inaccuracy of language and seek to understand the intention of the second language speaker?" (Not) to my surprise, there are more people who are quick to make an assumption and judge than people who will ask questions and gain a bit of wisdom.

I am not trying to defend second language English speaking people. I am trying to create a dialogue to push people to go deeper than they think they can.

Roberto asked me his next question, "Teacher? Can I say that? Why cannot I say that? I want to say that, teacher ... I want to say that....!"

He smiled when he asked all of those questions. I knew him enough to know that he doesn't really need me to answer. He needs me to hear that he can express himself and if the listener has trouble trying to follow him, then perhaps, sometimes, it is o.k -- not the end of the world --not the breakdown of anything serious.

My student just wanted to play with the language which he will have to use in this country. He and I are in the same context, I just happen to have better command of English than he does, but we are on the same pace in this world. We are trying to gain acceptance to our new country. We struggle but we will be O.K. I have to figure out how I will be TOMORROW.

Roberto already invited me to play with Basic English and this is a heart-warming experience for me.

Thanks, Roberto.

TAN

No comments: