Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Happiness and/or Success

For the travel-minded person like me, the terms "happiness" and/or "success" almost blur or appear ambiguous, especially when I am in a foreign land. To my surprise, I find it very challenging to say that, "I am happy," or "I feel success."

I challenge myself to define or redefine the meaning of happiness and/or success.

I have a roof over my head. I can pay the rent. I am relatively healthy. I am married to a very good person. I have a meaningful job (running an ESL program for low-income immigrants in DC). I have a good education. I am in well-functioning families (my Thai and American ones). I have good friends. I enjoy a rich world of literacy. I drink strong, good cups of coffee! I go out and bike in the forest. I have vacation days that I can take off to do anything or go anywhere that I would like to. I live with hope, strong faith and big dreams. I am introverted and reflective. I am conscious of doing good thing(s) in the world. I am proud of who I am. I.......

Yet, I am not confident when I say, "I am happy," or," I feel successful." I must be crazy or naive. Maybe I am immature in this process?

What does happiness mean? Where is success? How do you know that this is "happiness?" When do you feel that "success" is here?

For a travel-minded person, the answers to all of those quests is part of the pursuit of happiness and success. That is, I am bound to a still and quiet state of mind to really clear all of the confusion. I am waiting for the moment(s) when I can stop this wondering mind and start to glean the real definition of happiness and success in this unanswered journey.

For endless happiness and success, I have to suffer more.

TAN


No comments: