Tuesday, December 11, 2007

(re) connect




Whenever people (either Thais or foreigners) complained to me that they hate Bangkok, I accepted those opinions but naturally tried to defend Bangkok. Everyone told me how they don't like the pollution, traffic jams, Western influences and all of the bad things that the big city showed to them. I always listened with discontent. I always disagreed, quietly in my heart.



Bangkok is my hometown. I was born there 35 years ago. I have lived in Bangkok off and on.



I love the changing process of the city, and I enjoy observing the struggles of people from all walks of life. I don't like the pollution in Bangkok, but I lived in Bangkok because my soul was planted there. I keep exploring Bangkok, to all its millions of corners, where there are no tourists or even the native Bangkokian. I was educated from a famous and very good school in Bangkok.



I was looking out of the Metro window today and I saw Bangkok's shadow on the Potomac river. These two cities share similar identities. It is not too complicated for me to adjust my live in DC.



The fact is that big cities are places where everyone gathers; all good things and bad things thrive. What matters the most is the "people" who live, work and were born in that town who usually have a connection and a history with that town.



I love Bangkok, but I am learning to live in DC. I am planting a new seed in different soil.



I need to (re) connect.



TAN

No comments: