Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Home Sick


Homesickness is a common, painful feeling for me, over the last two years, or for anyone who (chooses to) leave their homeland.

Tonight, my husband and I walked back home together, and he gently asked, "do you feel lonely?" I said"No, it is a feeling of disconnectedness to my roots." "as far as I remember, I never felt lonely." The steps toward our apartment seemed a little far for me.

There were a few prompts for my homesickness today.

I went to a Thai restaurant with four co-workers. It was a company holiday lunch of the year. I told my co-workers that it was my first visit to a Thai restaurant in DC. I usually cook Thai at home. I ordered a spicy street noodle soup. I tried to speak Thai to the waiter. He spoke English to me. I knew he is Thai since I heard him speaking Thai to his co-workers. I was shocked and felt out of the loop. What was wrong with me? (or with him?)

I spoke my native language to a Thai person and he spoke English back to me. I can try to understand everything, but this simple manner seemed complicated to my common sense.

I felt disconnected to this waiter. My attempt to bring back my reminiscent feeling of going to a Thai restaurant, enjoying Thai food, and speaking Thai with Thai staff had failed. The noodle soup was o.k but could have tasted better if I had had a connection with the waiter.

My other self told me to "move on."

Two more days from now will be my wedding anniversary. Ben and I were married in Chiang Rai, Thailand. Tonight, he gave me a book, "Eat, Pray, Love" which I have enjoyed reading several times in the bookstore. I had never thought of investing in that, no matter how popular the book is. I don't want to ship so much stuff back to Thailand.

I was touched by the gift. Thank you very much, Ben.

About four years ago, I was in Thailand, living a simple, great life in the north of Thailand.The land where my roots are planted, my heart beats in a graceful step when I think of my family and friends. The land from which I came to realize the true feeling of homesickness when I am not there.

The disconnection of time and space creates a longing feeling of living in a world where ethnic connection is very important to me.

Homesickness is an unavoidable feeling for the intercultural life. I must embrace it.

TAN

No comments: